[Amps] Plated screws

Vic K2VCO vic at rakefet.com
Fri Nov 19 08:05:23 PST 2010

Some years ago I noticed that the (steel) screw that held the ground lug for the B+ bypass
capacitor in a relatively low-powered (single 813) amplifier appeared to have oxidized.
This screw was close to the tank circuit and I suspect that it had heated up from the
induced currents. I've seen warnings in the literature about using ferrous hardware in
strong RF fields, too.

I use brass screws where I think there will be an RF field, although I do use steel ones
in the power supply sections, etc. After all, a little more iron in that part of the
amplifier shouldn't matter!

On 11/19/2010 7:50 AM, Fuqua, Bill L wrote:
> Inductive ovens operate at low frequencies, 100kHz and less usually. That is to get a greater skin depth.
> Due to skin effect, if you are operating in the MHz range most of the current will be thru the plateing not the core material.
> Most plateings have high resistivity and are thick as well and some have two layers to allow a good bond between the
> final plate and the core material.
> 73
> Bill wa4lav

Vic, K2VCO