[Amps] brass or BNP hardware

DJ7WW dj7ww at t-online.de
Tue Nov 23 09:22:45 PST 2010

I got both data sheets.
My saying is that specifications are far exceeded when 3x 3CX800A7 tubes are
run at 4KW out, not how far they can be pushed before the big bang happens.

The problem is the anode current and voltage limitation, not the dissipation
with 3CX800s and a large blower.
Dissipation is smallest when anode current hits its maximum.

The preliminary data sheet specs for absolutely maximum ratings in AB2 are
2500V 0.6A and the later specs are 2250V 0,6A.

Running 6KW out with 3 of them exceeds all specs even more.

And to repeat it, 4-400 specs can also be overrided easily with higher anode
voltages and more drive.

I did 1200W out with a single 4-125 in the past when our regulations limited
us to 150W maximum dissipation for the tube(s) in the final according to the
data sheet.
Eimac printed a special data sheet for their 3-150ZG showing 150W anode
dissipation ;-)).

6KW out with 3x 4-400/QB4-1100 are easy and tubes are dirt cheap compared to
3CX800A7.
The pair of QB4/1100 in my L4B can be pushed to 4KW out at 4.5KV from my
3-ph power supply.

73
Peter