[Amps] MOVs

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Thu Nov 25 13:54:01 PST 2010

On 11/25/2010 2:14 PM, David Cutter wrote:
> It is my experience that MOVs should not be placed directly across the
> mains; they should have some limiting impedance, just like zeners do
> in a dc circuit.  I always fit them downstream of the mains filter so
> that as they conduct there is a limiting Z for the period of the
> glitch.  They are not meant to be sacrificial but they would be if
> placed directly across the mains with essentially extremely low source
> resistance.
MOVs should be installed down stream of fuses or breakers.
I should have said no flammable objects should be placed close to them.
Carl is correct, MOVs don't normally catch fire, but a shorted one can
get very hot, or even explode.  I've seen a pair of #6 wires sticking
straight out from where a 50,000 joule MOV "used to be" and I've also
been in the next "cage" over from one when if blew. It takes a lot of
power to explode a 50,000 joule MOV and the results are spectacular.
The idea was to protect a pair of 1200 Amp SCRs (bout the size of a
hockey puck and water cooled) from spikes, which they sometimes did.
<:-)) The fuse they'd take out was pretty spectacular for size too.

All in all even if the SCRs went they were still worth the investment.

73

Roger (K8RI)