[Amps] Tube Cooling..

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Sat Nov 27 15:53:55 PST 2010

Carl wrote:
>> So the entire anode cavity fills up with hot air...
>>
>> Collins contributed many excellent ideas to the amplifier gene pool, but
>> that certainly wasn't one of them.
>

>Now that is a reply Id expect from those that reply without using much
>mental effort but not from you Ian. Due to the cavity design and the
>width of the anode cooler it didnt leave much choice.
>
>The amp certainly does not show signs of overheating either.

OK - if it works well enough, then it works.

The point I was trying to make was that there are better ways. Most
designers recognise that heating of the cavity is a major source of
tuning drift, especially at UHF, so they choose cavity configurations
that allow cooling of the tube without heating up the cavity.

If the cavity design didn't allow that in this particular case, it
suggests that the cavity had been designed first, without much thought
to cooling, leaving with  the designer of the cooling system with no
other choices.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek