[Amps] Any experiences with "powergridtube"? (YC156 hunt)

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Fri Oct 1 00:29:16 PDT 2010

  On 10/1/2010 2:39 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:
> Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 21:35:07 -0400
> From: "Kevin Adam"<n9iww at msn.com>
> Subject: Re: [Amps] Any experiences with "powergridtube"? (YC156 hunt)
> To:<dezrat1242 at yahoo.com>, "AMPS"<amps at contesting.com>
>
> Give Tom A call he can do you right and does stand by his tubes
> http://www.wa8wzg.net/
> I no I have one of his tubes and works great on 160m
> N9IWW
>
> ##  The 10m below is well built.  Those CRL-859's /HT-59's are indeed,
> big mother's.
I need to check the cabinets in the garage.  I had a bunch of fixed
vacuum caps and some real "water cooled" ceramics that came out of some
really big RF *stuff*  The caps are about 3.5"OD X 6" tall. There are 4
water cooled ones. 3 of them are 1500 X 15KV and one is 2500 X 15KV.
However I have some fixed vacuum caps that are BIG. One setting in front
of me is a Dolinko & Wilkens, INC (Union City NJ Model VC1500-25).  I
assume it's 1500pf @ 25KV. It's about the size of a 4CX3000A7 (maybe a
bit taller) and may weigh more than the YC-156. The connectors on each
end are about an inch tall by 1.5" in diameter Brass.  There are 4 or 5
smaller ones in there.
> They come in 15/20/25 kv, usually you see em in 20 kv. Mine
> were all 20 kv.  The smaller HT-57's  are easier to work with, and come in
> 10/15 kv.
>
> http://www.directivesystems.com/YC156.htm
>

> ## The YC-156 has been used on all bands from 160-6m.
>

> ## WA8WZG has all his YC-156's  / YC-179's / 8877's/  3CXP-800A7's  tested.
What's the difference between the 156 and 179? They appear to have the
same ratings, but it says the 179 is "improved"?
> ##  You don't require a suppressor for a YC-156/ YC-179.  I have a friend
> in W9 land who has a multiband YC-156, and with a really good tube in it,
> get's 10-12 kw out, with 210 w of drive. [7700 vdc no load, 7200 under load]
>   Another friend in W8 land gets 7.5 kw out, with 150w  of drive.
>
> ##  No socket.  Just whack a hole in the chassis and bolt it in.  Some will
> opt for a 8-10"  square plate, with the hole + air slots already cut into it.
> A slightly smaller square hole cut into chassis, and plate bolted down.
> Hammond makes a torroid fil xfmr  to run the fil.
>
> ##  reid @ Eimac tells me that although it's stated the tube has a 6 min warm up, to
> allow a full 8 mins of warm up.   The B+  can be applied  simultaneously  with fil
> V.   The tube is cut off on RX anyway.   You just can't draw idle current or apply drive for
> 8 mins.   Easiest  method is to inhibit the  key line for 8 mins..or use a stop watch !
>
> ##  If you decide to operate with high B+  and loads of drive,  I would highly reccomend
> the use of 7-16 Din connectors.  You have to worry abt everything downstream. If you
> want hi-power qsk, parallel 2 x sped up  gigavac Gh-1's  or  RJ-1A's.  If you want high power bypass
> capability, use a GH-1 /Rj1-A  for the input.    IE: 2 x amps, wired nose to tail,  tuned up
> on different bands.  If that is done, either a toggle  or rotary switch is wired to the xcvr's
> key line.  Output of toggle/rotary is fed to each amp.   That way, only one amp can ever be
> keyed at one time.
>
> ##  don't expect to build this things as a table top amp.  If vac caps are used for both tune and load,
Even most "legal limit" table top amps are pushing the definition and
are real hernia builders. I used to like the idea of the "table top"
concept, but now I've been running an amp that will do that 24 X 7, I'm
changing my mind and kinda like the idea of a separate power supply and
RF deck.     Even with an RF deck using the YC-156, 3CX-3000A7, or
4CX-3000A7 you end up with an RF deck larger than any of the commercial
table top legal limit amps AFAIK.
> and good turns counters used, you can put it in another room,
Now if some one would come up with some nice looking turns counters.
The current designs I've seen all ruin the looks and symmetry of the
front panel. IOW they are ugly! At least they are to me.

OTOH with a couple of chips and a pulse counter/generator at the cap you
could have digital readout similar to how the old C-band dish
positioners kept track of where they were pointed.
>   and ..'dial by the numbers'... and
> keep a list of all logged freqs.  Keep the loaded tank  Q  low... like 8-10 max.  Then it will  cover a huge
> chunk of a band, with out retuning..like the entire 20m phone band, etc.

73

Roger (K8RI)