[Amps] cathode driven 4CX tubes.

Fuqua, Bill L wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Tue Oct 12 22:10:36 PDT 2010

I was just looking at Bill Orr's article about super cathode driven tube amps in the July 67 QST.
He has a example of a 4CX300A (control grid connected to cathode) cathode driven amplifier.
It only has a power gain of 5. 375 watts out with 75 watts input. But the nice thing is that the 3rd order products were 46db down and
5th were -49. This is quite an improvement over most amplifiers.
    I have always wanted to do this using two stages one produce around 300watts output and the second 1500 watts.
A 4CX250b driving 4 parallel 4CX250B tubes. Should get similar results.  This naturally would require 50 to 70 watts drive.