[Amps] cathode driven 4CX tubes.

donroden at hiwaay.net donroden at hiwaay.net
Wed Oct 13 06:40:31 PDT 2010

Quoting "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00 at uky.edu>:
> A 4CX250b driving 4 parallel 4CX250B tubes. Should get similar
> results. This naturally would require 50 to 70 watts drive.

In the early 70s, I built a "look-alike" 30L-1 out of a gray Bud Box
and I used four 4CX250Bs in GG. 100 ohm resistor on G1 to ground, G2
strapped to ground.

2300 volts resting / 1800-1900 @ .9A for 1KW out.

The tubes were cooled with a pressurized chassis using two stacked
Muffin fans rated 80 cfm or so each.

The KWM-2 drove it straight ... no tuned input.

Didn't have spectrum analyzers back then, but as crowded as 75 meters
was, I never had anyone complain that the amp was dirty.

Don W4DNR