[Amps] construct ferrite "line isolator"

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Wed Oct 27 05:59:17 PDT 2010

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 07:26:01 -0500
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] construct ferrite "line isolator"
To: amps at contesting.com

>The next AES Convention will be held in San Francisco
>next weekend. If you have time, we can walk the show floor together and
>I can show you some Pin 1 Problems. :)

Jim,  what method do you employ to find the Pin 1 problem on a piece
of equipment out on a trade show floor?  I assume it must be a fairly

simple check I can employ in my ham shack.  tnx

73

Rob

K5UJ

##  that's easy.  Bring along ur ohm meter.  It should read zero ohms  between pin 1
and chassis.  If it doesn't... you have the dreaded pin 1 problem...or just look at the
schematic.

##  IOW, they used  'electronic grnd'....'return grnd'   and they come under a variety
of names.    The standard these days in the pro audio world, is to use the actual chassis  as the real grnd.

##  along comes yaesu, icom et all... and what u think is grnded to the chasssis..isn't !  When u see
the mating female on the rear panel  do a 90 deg right angle inside..and terminate on a pc board....
the shell is usually not grnded to the chassis.

##  In the telco world, they use abt 5-8 x different kinds of ...'grnds' !

Jim  VE7RF