[Amps] HV rectifier strings - to bypass or not?

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Sun Oct 31 02:29:50 PDT 2010

Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 20:50:37 -0400
From: "Carl" <km1h at jeremy.mv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV rectifier strings - to bypass or not?

White noise is real but in an amp with RX/TX relay isolation you wont hear
it and it may not occur with big diodes.

It is noticable with SS receiving and audio gear and a single .01 or so
bypass across each leg of the rectifier takes care of it.

##  Ok, so 10,000 pf  across each of the 4 x legs.

I like to add a SINGLE .0047 across the full string in an amp and another at
the output to ground to keep any high intensity and transformer stretched
spikes from bothering the diodes or electrolytics. The one to ground also
catches any stray RF that the plate choke or its bypass missed.

##  whoa.  Where  exactly is this 1st .0047uf  wired to and from ?    What
do you mean by... "across the full string"    I lost you some where.

##  BTW, these 1N5408's + 6A10's  will typ hi-pot test to 1.4 kv.

Jim   VE7RF

Carl
KM1H