[Amps] HV rectifier strings - to bypass or not?

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Sun Oct 31 07:39:20 PDT 2010

Basic filtering is already in place to prevent RF from getting into the AC
line. Many hams do not use an earth ground to the chassis and going to a .01
line to chassis bypass can give a nice tingle at 240V when you interconnect
floating cables.

However a suitable commercial type 240V 20-30A suppressor is large, and
expensive if bought new. I have a 50A computer surplus one from a DEC
mainframe, installed at the main panel which feeds 2 amplifier outlets. The
other 240V lines into the shack and the workbench are unprotected until I
locate more filters. These commercial filters mandate an earth ground.

The computer manufacturers thought enough about having clean AC so I dont
understand why a few hams are arguing the subject. Spikes can cause damage,
plain and simple.

Carl
KM1H