[Amps] HV wires, back-to-back diodes, and B- wiring

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 19:12:16 PDT 2010

Not to be flip about this but if we're talking about the safest
design, that is in my opinion, to forget about B+ cables and separate
cabinets and build the whole thing, p.s. and RF deck, into a single
rack on wheels.  Pick up a little 4 or 5 foot high Cabtron rack at a
hamfest and put the whole thing on the floor next to the operating
desk or table.   My reason for mentioning this is sometimes builders
focus on two cabinets and interconnecting cables and forget about or
don't realize the rack option.

73

Rob
K5UJ

<<The safest design uses a deeply recessed panel mount connector on the
PS and a "flying lead" from the amp, i.e. a wire which is hard-wired
into the amp without a connector at the amp end. As long as there is a
good solid ground wire from the amp chassis to the PS chassis, that
arrangement is as close to  fool-proof as you can get. Someone can hot
plug it all day long with no danger.>>