[Amps] SHV / proper cable for DC energy transfer

Steve Thompson g8gsq at f2s.com
Thu Sep 16 00:58:19 PDT 2010

I haven't tried to find exact details of anyone's test process but
I suspect that the cable manufacturers specify the breakdown
voltage with a flat cut end on the cable, or with the cable
prepared as it would be in a typical connector (BNC, for example).

The dielectric strength of polyethylene is around 20kV/mm. When
there is sufficient path length to prevent arcing on the cut ends,
I can't get breakdown in good quality RG58 at 16kV (the limit of
my hipot tester). I'd say that breakdown in the cable itself is
not an issue in your situation.

Steve

snip