[Amps] Famous Alpha plate clip desoldering issue

Jeff Blaine keepwalking188 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 16 06:53:57 PDT 2010

Hi Roger,

Fan is good.  I can beleive the overtemp case because the amp spent a bit of
time in the shack of a guy who is known for testing amps to destruction in
contest and then a short stint at a guy who runs rag-chew AM.  What suprises
me is that I don't see more evidence of damage.  Overall the bandswitch
looks fantastic.  No signs of arc anywhere that I could get my dental mirror
down into anyway.

In doing a bit of band testing, it looks like there is a low output problem
specific to 21 Mhz.  I suspect the choke is fried on the bottom end from use
on 12m.  Think I have an MFJ AL1500 plate choke in the junkbox as a spare
and so if that's the problem, the solution is "at hand."

And for the seals, I should have been more specific in my choice of words.
The tubes hi-pot ok so there's not been a tube hermitic seal breach.

I was talking about the silicon rubber boots that serve as the air duct
shrouds on each tube.  Looks like the amp is around 23 years old based on
the cap date codes.  Not sure if you could get this delamination of the
silicon rubber onto the tube in this manner absent higher temps or not.

Just thought the missing solder on the plate clips was a pretty funny find.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com