[Amps] Pulse tuning

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Thu Sep 23 08:13:47 PDT 2010

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 07:39:24 -0500
From: "W5CUL" <w5cul at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Pulse tuning

I use a piece of software called Test Tone Generator to pulse tune my amp.
It is set for 200Hz for one pulse tone, and 600Hz for the other.  I have the
duty cycle for each tone set for 30%, which seems to work very well given I
operate SSB. It seems to me that it would be a more efficient tune if you
can mimic the mode of operation you plan on using when tuning your amp.

73,

Mike
W5CUL

##  Hi mike.  What else that works good is the white noise generator,
 that's built into my Behringer 2496 mastering processor.  The plate current
ends up exactly 1/2.... IE: dead on 50% duty cycle...but occupies  the
entire TX BW..and u can't notch it out.

##  Hey, somebody told me yrs ago why telco's  use  a 404 / 1004/ 2704/2904  hz tone  for
testing, and I have long forgotten.  It had nothing to do with harmonix either.  It had nothing
to do with A/D and D/A  conversions either.  We were using 1004  back in the old toll office days,
and on analog 46-A cxr systems etc, analog microwave... long before digital multiplexer's,
and  5ESS / GTD-5 CO's  came into existence.  Does anybody remember the real reason ?

##  for the fellow that used to tweak microwave sites, Mike and I dabble in ESSB, so the xcvr's
will easily pass  low freqs.  I can get 200 w  at < 20 hz quite easily.   I retired from the telco after 34
yrs, [mike is still there ! ] and I don't  want to hear 1004 hz  for the next 30 yrs thank you.

Later... Jim   VE7RF