[Amps] Pulse tuning

W5CUL w5cul at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 23 16:21:21 PDT 2010

Jim,

If I remember correctly 1004 hz tone was used to qualify an outside cable
pair, launch power versus received power.  The twist of the cable
(capacitance) and the 88mH loading coil at the frame block equates to
something around a 1004Hz resonance for the twisted pair. And wasn't a
1004Hz tone also used for tandem (Toll) switches for signaling to grab a
trunk out of the switch, or am I mistaking that for like 1200 or 1300 hertz
or so?  It has been so long, can't quite remember.

Now 404/1004/2704/2904 will send shivers up and down any Telco Techs neck.
That is a frequency run for an MFT, which was an in line equalizer used for
radio circuits.  Having to align an MFT can be quite frustrating as it is
purely analog, so what ever you do to one filter affects the other.  So it
takes several passes to get it right.  Too much adjusting and you had to
start all over again, hence the frustration.

I probably should try white noise for tuning up my amp just to see what it
does.  And Rob, 200Hz does pass right through my rigs just fine; they will
pass 20Hz if you let them.  But good point, probably should use something
like 200Hz & 1200Hz or maybe 1800Hz at the high end.

73,

Mike
W5CUL