[Amps] Any experiences with "powergridtube"? (YC156 hunt)

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Thu Sep 30 12:26:12 PDT 2010

On 9/30/2010 3:00 PM, DAVE WHITE wrote:
> I've not come across that seller before.  Does he mean $550 per tube?  Also he's stated that you may not get the one in the advertisement, so although the picture is of a new looking one, you may get a blackened and half-melted dud in the worst case scenario - though I'd hope to have a bit more faith in human nature than that...
>
> Just Goolging to find out a bit more about that tube, I saw this http://www.directivesystems.com/YC156.htm
>
> ...which seems like a nice, neat bit of construction.  19dB gain from a triode?  Strewth.  Would that be a bit of a beast to hold down in a multiband amp?
>
> Price-wise, since I just paid GBP200 (about $280) each for a couple of new though rather old stock Eimac 3CX3000F7s I think $550 may be a little steep, though I've never bought a YC156 so don't really know.  Still, it looks like one hell of a tube for the money
The YC156 are available as tested (and guaranteed) pulls for $380
although I've forgotten the source...I'll do some searching as I
*must/should* have a record of it around here some where.

The only complaints I have about the tube is the size 9" tall, weighs
over 9# and the long warm up time of 6 minutes.  I complain about the 3
minutes on my current amp.

73

Roger (K8RI)