[Amps] SB-220 amp help

Gudguyham at aol.com Gudguyham at aol.com
Wed Apr 6 05:14:55 PDT 2011

GM guys, since we are beating the hell out of the Heathkit amplifier these
past few days, I want to offer some help to you who are new to the amp.
Here is an occasional problem that comes up that can frustrate you.  Does
your sensitivity meter not work right?  Does it only give you a reading a  one
point is its rotation?  Then when it does, the meter slams against the
pin?  SO you say oops, my sensitivity pot is bad, and you replace it and as
soon as you put power through your new pot it goes south again?  The  problem
is leakage in the 1N191 detector diode. You need to change the  diode or
else you will burn up any number of pots you replace.  The 1N191  is not made
anymore and it looks like 1 1N60 is a good replacement.  This  tip might save
you a lot of aggravation.  I am assuming what happens is  that the diode
leaks RF and it burns the pot as I have dissected several pots  and found the
same "burn" on all that were bad. Happy  motoring.