[Amps] SB-220 amp help

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Apr 6 05:43:38 PDT 2011

My SB-220 has been an absolute joy since I bought it a decade ago, at
which point it was already about 25 years old, but this message raised a
question.  In CW contest service, I have always used the SSB position,
and it puts out >1200 watts on every band but 10M.  No major component
failures, though it did melt the solder in the 3-500 filament pins until
I swapped the socket clips and polished the pins to improve contact.

Only one issue.  For some reason, the high voltage and relative power
positions on the multimeter quit years ago, while the grid current still
works.  I didn't really need them, but it would be nice to have
everything working.  I'm assuming a common cause, but I'll be darned if
I can see a component or components that would cause this, other than
the switch itself.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com