[Amps] GU-84B Conversion

Jeff Blaine keepwalking188 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 20:59:39 PDT 2011

Yes, pair.  But given 3500z is so easy to get, reliable and cheap, that seems the best way to go unless a guy is just dedicated to
go ceramic.

The GI46 is a bigger physical tube but it has the same Pd spec of 350 as the GI7b.  So at a higher cost, I'm not sure there is a
real advantage.  It should be better but if so, the Pd rating should be higher.  I have seen some fantastic claims of far greater
power out than the GI7b but real data based on actual specs or disection + extrapolation on these tubes is hard to come by.  If the
Pd is really 350, there is not much of an advantage of the 46 over the 7b.

The high voltage of the Ps 2900v idle and 2500 at load is perfect for the GI7b - that’s pretty much that tube's sweet spot in that
the weak spot is the grid drive - higher voltages like this PS has means for a given output, with less Ig.  And longer life.

My feeling is this is the road to an expensive project if you get away from the 3500z option.  For a guy like Roger or Carl with a
nice junkbox, it's trivial.  Bit if you start spending money, it's easy to end up with a very expensive but pretty unreliable amp.
I have one here, as a matter of fact.  :)

73, Jeff ACØC
www.ac0c.com