[Amps] DIN vs N

jeff millar jeff at wa1hco.net
Sun Apr 24 20:19:13 PDT 2011

This reminds me of an event during the June VHF Contest. The 432 Station running
about 800W quit. It used a DIN 7/16 on the GS-35b amp with a DIN to N adapter.
We debugged it to the an open circuit in the adapter. On dismantling the adapter
it had a very small pin, about the same diameter as 18 to 20 gauge wire that
connected between the larger pins for the N and DIN sides. This adapter was one
of hundreds that became surplus from the cellular industry.

Also, I once picked up a bag full of what I thought were a very weird silver
plated N Female to F female adapters. But after looking at the burned N to DIN
adapter, it now seems like some company made a series of between series adapters
that could screw together with what looks like F series threads and use an RG-59
sized center pin.

Watch out.

jeff, wa1hco