[Amps] DIN vs N

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Apr 25 16:20:57 PDT 2011

On 4/24/2011 8:19 PM, jeff millar wrote:
> It used a DIN 7/16 on the GS-35b amp with a DIN to N adapter.
> We debugged it to the an open circuit in the adapter. On dismantling the adapter
> it had a very small pin, about the same diameter as 18 to 20 gauge wire that
> connected between the larger pins for the N and DIN sides. This adapter was one
> of hundreds that became surplus from the cellular industry.

I wouldn't blame this on the cell phone industry -- you just got
suckered by JUNK connectors. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger -- I did
too, buying a bunch at hamfests about 8 years ago. Caused me no end of
problems. Not limited to DIN to N adapters -- all sorts of adapters are
this sort of junk. Elbows, Tees, BNC to N, BNC to PL259, PL259 to N, and
so on. This garbage falls apart, burns up, goes intermittent, etc.

Many of us have learned the hard way -- nothing but Amphenol. Period.

73, Jim K9YC