[Amps] DIN vs N

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Wed Apr 27 06:39:39 PDT 2011

> AT HF (160-10) the impedance of the UHF connector is of relatively
> little importance.  They are difficult to spot with a TDR and you can
> stack a bunch of them of good quality with almost no noticeable loss.
> The exception is on 160 where it's more a resistance problem, not one of
> impedance.  Even then I doubt it's of much concern unless running QRO
> which most of us on here do.
>
> ##  I don't get it.   IF UHF connectors are supposed to be 30-35 ohms..
> then
> how come the various analyzers  out there always show '50-ohms, zero
> reactance'
> when hooked  to a dummy load ???   And that's  at any freq.   Or is ur
> favourite
> wattmeter is used..say a bird 43  with 2 x uhf females on it.
> XCVR-Bird-Dummy load...
> all with uhf connectors... and I get  ZERO watts  reflected power every
> time.  One would
> think the  8 x connector's  used in the XCVR-Bird-Dummy load  would induce
> a gross Z
> bump.... but it doesn't.

** A 1" long connector is such a small fraction of a wavelength that it
doesnt register. As you get up into the high VHF frequencies it becomes a
noticable line section of  a different impedance. With the loss of a 100'
run of any typical black jacketed coax the cable loss itself masks the
mismatch of connectors at the far end at say 144 MHz..

Carl