[Amps] Russian pre-tuning units

Bob bobt at iafrica.com
Sat Aug 27 04:35:27 PDT 2011

Hi to the group,

                        This is my first post so a little about myself
first, I'm an electrical engineer who plays with very big drives(1 ~11MW
size) I live in South Africa and have the call ZS6BXI which I have held for
~ 25 years. I operate a flex 5000A and have purchased a home brew linear
based on a GU 43B. This was built by an east European /Russian Ham and
brought to South Africa for a DX expedition and never went home (it was too
heavy). The amp and its separate power supply work fine (although it's had a
hard life and I have been doing a lot of tidy up work, tightening up all of
the bolts and renewing frayed wiring etc).

My problem is the two pre-tuning units that pre-position the tune and load
caps for each band. They appear to be Russian Military and are very neat and
built like a Swiss watch. But one doesn't work and I would like to know how
it works and be able to fix it and some details on how to set it up. It
appears to be motor driven has a set of logic input selectors driven from
the band selector switch but with lots of tiny cams and switches.

Please has anyone come across these units before and if so can they help.

Regards Bob ZS6BXI

dangerous content by Pinpoint, and is
believed to be clean.