[Amps] re eimac 3cx1200 tube

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Sun Dec 4 17:49:23 PST 2011

Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 19:53:29 -0700
From: "Fern" <crc at cyberlink.bc.ca>
Subject: [Amps] re eimac 3cx1200 tube

Can the eimac 3CX1200Z7 tube but used in lieu of the 3CX1200D7 tube in an hf
amplifier without any modifications? I know that the filament voltages are
the same and use the same tube socket,
Looking for any advice with this.  73 from Fern VE7GZ

##  The Z7 version has a grid flange on it, which is bolted to the chassis.  I THINK
the Z7  has a pair of fil lugs down below, in lieu of the normal socket.   IE: I believe
the Z7 version does not require a socket at all.  Ameritron has switched to the Z7
version on their AL-1200 amps, and that's very recently.    As far as I know,
 Eimac is the only one who makes the Z7 version..and it's a VERY expensive tube per RF parts price list.

##  Eimac's on line data sheets on all 3 x versions are out to lunch.  The Z7 only has .2 pf
pf anode to cathode C.     The other 2 x versions are both  much higher.   The Z7 is the most
stable of the 3 x versions.

later... Jim   VE7RF