[Amps] Fwd: Linear Amplifier Tuning---PROPERLY!

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Tue Dec 27 22:35:21 PST 2011

On 12/25/2011 8:14 PM, Carl wrote:
> Very excellent Jeff.
>
> Having been deeply involved with both cell phone IC design as well as
> microwave to millimeter wave RF module design before retiring I got an
> eyefull and brain full of what was both required and possible with the
> multo
> channel data and voice world.
>
> And then have to come home and climb the wall listening to garbage
> signals......Often from well known world class contesters and DXers
> who are
> regulars on many forums.
>
> And then see a completely assinine review of the TE 2M amp in the latest
> QST. Its just another example of the ARRL kissing butt for the
> advertising
> dollar.
> Garbage like that should be banned from QST as well as 2M or any other
> band
> such trash is sold on.

If it's really as bad as they measured (which I assume it is) then I'd
also assume that there are going to be a lot of disappointed users as
well. Course if they only use them on FM will any one notice?  Certainly
will if they use them on SSB and CW.  If I purchased something like an
amp based on a review in a magazine and it turned out to be crap I'd be
calling the magazine editor.  OTOH they did list the IM products even if
the conclusion was positive.  OTOH how many hams understand IM.  Maybe
some one should write a book: " Your Amp, IMD and how to be popular".

|Crowded bands would seem completely different if everybody's IMD
dropped 10-20 dB.
| jeff, wa1hco

10 to 20 db is pretty much the equivalent of every one operating a full
legal limit amp...plus.  Admittedly it's from a difference reference
level...in some cases, but still...
Although I have noted with the 5000MP the bands seem much cleaner and
less crowded than they do with my little 897D. I need to get the 756 Pro
back on so I can compare its performance.

73

Roger (K8RI)