[Amps] AL-1500 for legal-limit 160m AM?

Jim Barber audioguy at q.com
Sat Dec 31 13:23:41 PST 2011

Rob,

I'm running a couple of hundred feet of Davis Bury-Flex. It's worked at
(legal) QRO levels from my Alphas on 75M AM, RTTY, SSTV etc without any
meltdown issues. Of course I at least try to keep the antennas somewhere
in the vicinity of 50 ohms with minimum reactance. 160M AM and 160M in
general are relatively new to me - we finally bought a house with modest
acreage and a few trees, which makes such things easier.

The main station amp will eventually be a YC-156 that I've been fiddling
with for a number of years. It's in a zillion pieces now, but I may get
back to it yet this winter. Every time I get close to having it
completed I decide to redesign it and the game starts over again. This
with a thick shell of mineral wool encased in something, maybe plywood
with a furniture finish. (haven't decided yet) The house will be
sporting a new dryer vent and the operating desk a remote console for
keeping an eye on the beast.

I was kidding about the wife - she's actually quite tolerant of my
hobbies. (of which amateur radio is only one) It's actually me that's
tired of boat anchors. ;-)

73,
Jim N7CXI