[Amps] 87a Fault 9 more

Charles Harpole k4vud at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 3 15:45:33 PST 2011

Thank you Dick and Paul.  The circuit board issue looks promising from outside the linear anyway.
My point is that this problem exists after repeated trips to Alpha repair.  If a board had a burn spot, it should have been fixed and a better method installed to prevent reoccurance.   Understand, I had TWO 87a at the same time in Florida weather for whatever that may mean, and both gave me the same trouble and repeatedly.  Both went back to the factory.

My beef is that the PIN diodes system was a design fault in the line that was very late addressed by Alpha and was never treated as a recall to fix this set of problems.  Further, Alpha did not install long term repairs to this faulty design when the units were at service.  Alpha knows of the problem, certainly, and even offers parts to repair and partly prevent future incidents.  In sum, two units returned a total of five times should have alerted the system to a better fix and my own units should have had more permanent fixes installed.

I know Alpha has new owners, all new since my returns, and I have good hope for the future of the new owners.  However, I think I have a legitimate complaint about a design flaw set that has run up the expense of owning the units.  Thankfully, a good friend is looking over my unit now and is lots better help than Alpha's past record.

Best of the New Year to all who helped me and very 73,

Charles Harpole k4vud at hotmail.com