[Amps] 87a Fault 9

Dick Green WC1M wc1m73 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 11:02:52 PST 2011

First, I¹d like to echo Paul¹s comments about the 87A. Like all equipment,
it needs maintenance from time to time. But I¹ve been able to keep mine
running for over 15 years. Alpha has always been extremely helpful and
effective at diagnosing and resolving problems.

Second, I recently had a bout with faults 8, 9 and 11. I think I posted a
writeup on this reflector about it not long ago. You can search for it on
the website.

My problem was a little different than yours in that it caused a sudden
failure of the amp on transmit, after which it wouldn¹t transmit without
producing one of the above fault codes. Eventually the amp wouldn¹t even
warm up without faulting. With Alpha¹s assistance, I found that one of the
transmit PIN diodes was blown. After replacing it, the amp worked OK until
it got to about 1500W, then it would fault again. I think it was fault 11 or
9, but I don¹t remember. Anyway, Alpha once again helped me troubleshoot,
which led to discovery that the insulator pad under L1 on the T/R board had
partly disintegrated over the years, allowing the inductor to arc to the
ground plane of the circuit board underneath. The repeated arcs had dug a
nice hole in the board. The arcs were undoubtedly responsible for the faults
related to PIN diode current, and ultimately killed one of the transmit PIN
diodes. Luckily, I found the root cause of the problem before blowing
another very expensive transmit PIN diode.

If you¹re know how to work inside amps, and are comfortable doing so, UNPLUG
THE AMP, remove the cover, and remove the small perforated cover over the
T/R compartment. Look for burned or charred areas on the T/R board,
especially near and under L1. Remember to replace both covers before you
plug the amp in again.

I repaired L1 myself by removing it, cleaning off the old insulating pad,
cleaning up the PCB, installing a new insulating pad (a piece of rubber
sound insulation mat), rewinding with the correct gauge magnet wire, and
reinstalling L1 with a layer of silicone between it and the insulating pad
for mechanical stability and more insulation. I was able to do all this
without removing the T/R board, which is a bit of a chore.

Of course, your problem might not be caused by L1. It could be caused by a
problem with the LV supply. Alpha has some troubleshooting steps you can
follow to try to isolate the cause, but since it sounds like it happens
intermittently, I would check for evidence of arcs at L1 first.

Hope this helps.

73, Dick WC1M