[Amps] Alpha 76CA Operation

VO1HP fdavis at nfld.net
Thu Jan 27 08:32:53 PST 2011

I am helping a friend check out an Alpha 76CA  ser # 69XX.   I wonder if
anyone can tell me  what the typical CW output power should be for 700ma
plate current and  grid current in the 70ma range.    We notice that
while testing on 160M that the grid current will flop around a bit  up
down around the above figure.     The amp has been in storage for about
20 years.  We reseated the tubes and the various molex connectors.

The amp tunes normally but the output seems low?     On 160M we see
about 700-800W and on 20M about 500W at above noted plate and grid
currents.

Amp is plugged into 120VAC line.

73 Frank VO1HP
St.John's NL