[Amps] What to buy?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Jan 29 10:12:32 PST 2011

On 1/28/2011 8:41 PM, donroden at hiwaay.net wrote:
> Some would argue that antennas and towers should be the first priority.

Of course -- only a fool would argue otherwise! But antennas (and
especially towers) aren't cheap -- I could buy a couple of the latest
Alphas for what I've invested in antennas! And once you've done what you
can with antennas, it's time to prioritize the amp. :)

I've never owned any of the nicer automated amps, but I've operated a
few for a bit, and hear lots from members of our contest club.  Among
those club members, there is widespread satisfaction with Alpha and
ACOM, and if I won the lottery, that's where I would go.  I don't hear
of anyone coveting Tokyo High Power or SPE, and I've heard bad things
about both.

73, Jim K9YC