[Amps] New NXP BLF578XR 1200W LDMOS FET is "indestructible"

Al Kozakiewicz akozak at hourglass.com
Fri Jul 22 18:36:50 PDT 2011

With an external anode tube (and I'll use the 8877 as an example because I have one close at hand), a plate dissipation of 1500W is spread over the anode. Without the cooler, that's still about 12.5 square inches of active surface area assuming all of the emission happens radially to the cathode.  120W per square inch.  There aren't any 1500W MOSFET's that I know of, but the comparable area of heat dissipation is only maybe .015 square inches - 4 orders of magnitude smaller!  For a 200W MOSFET, that's 1300W per square inch. That's a pretty tiny area to conduct all the heat away from. I think the physics of thermal conduction and convection are significantly more constraining when talking about such a tiny piece of real estate.

Remember, the drain is not an active element of a FET - it's simply a path to conduct heat away from the bit of silicon that is the active element.  The anode on an external anode tube, however, IS an active element and it is very large compared to the silicon in a FET.

Al
AB2ZY