[Amps] New NXP BLF578XR 1200W LDMOS FET is "indestructible"

jeff millar jeff at wa1hco.net
Sat Jul 23 08:34:49 PDT 2011

This email describes what I've learned from looking at these modern transistors
for the last few months.  It seems to me like a fundamental crossover point has
been reached.  Silicon processing technology has produced rugged VHF/UHF
transistors, with reasonable impedance matching for a reasonable cost,
especially considering all the other costs associated with an amplifier.  These
parts will only get better and cheaper as time goes on.

Brian, WA1ZMS, brought a dual MRFE6VP61 on 2 meters (2 x 1250W) to the last VHF
contest.  The parts are $271 each at Digikey...

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=MRFE6VP61K25HR5CT-ND

His amplifier also used a 1/2 inch thick copper heat spreader but he avoided the
machining and polishing step by "soldering" the two transistors into the slot
with a 4 mil film Indium foil, which melts at 156C (hot plate is your friend).
That fills the voids better than thermal grease and even avoids the need for
clamping or mounting hardware.

Brian's amp spread the heat through the copper plate into the 1/4 inch aluminum
plate that formed the bottom of the amplifier and then he attached a water
cooled plate to the bottom outside the amp.  The water lines circulated in a 5
gallon bucket for thermal mass.  A separate cooling loop circulated water into
some fan cooled transmission heat exchangers to dump the heat into the air.

We talked about all that metal for heat spreading and I said that he really
needs to run a thin copper water pipe directly under the transistor to put as
little thickness as practical between flowing water and the transistor.  After
that any extra metal for spreading is not effective or necessary.  That could
save a lot of size, weight, and cost.

One of the big advantages of transistor vs tubes is all the heat comes out at DC
and RF ground potential.  Water cooling is a lot easier without HV on it.

Another advantage of modern FETS...A 50V, 56A power supply costs $25 on ebay
because server farms dumped thousands of them...includes power factor
correction, no blinking lights in the operating room.

The NXP device at $700 may be fully rugged, but the Freescale device is rated to
60:1 VSWR for 10 msec pulse.  That provides plenty of time for a controller kill
the drive or switch off the supply on detecting high VSWR.

The transistors have about 27 dB of gain and only require a few Watts of drive.
  They can handle drive without any supply voltage without damage.

Operating the amplifier was a very odd experience, since we were on a mountain
and outside was cool. The amplifier started out at tap water temperature and
cooled off into the night.  After hours of EME operation, the amp felt COLD to
the touch.  In retrospect, amplifiers need to operate a bit warm just to prevent
operating below the dew point and condensing water out of the air.

jeff, wa1hco