[Amps] New NXP BLF578XR 1200W LDMOS FET is "indestructible"

Dan Mills dmills at exponent.myzen.co.uk
Sat Jul 23 08:45:22 PDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-07-23 at 11:34 -0400, jeff millar wrote:
>  In retrospect, amplifiers need to operate a bit warm just to prevent
> operating below the dew point and condensing water out of the air.

Yep, ask the Lasers community about that little gotcha.

You think power FETs are a pain to cool, you want to try a high power
laser diode bar array.... Not only are they temperature tuned to match
the required wavelength, but if you over cool them condensation on the
output facet can cause reflections that destroy the device.

All kinds of nasty to deal with.

You think we have SWR issues, 20db return loss can be insufficient in
that application.

Regards, Dan.