[Amps] PA choke design

pc5m, Carel pc5m at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 28 08:26:30 PDT 2011

Hi, I know it has been discussed before, but can't find any good pointers.
For  my single band 160mtrs PA I would like to  design the plate choke
inductor. I would like to get the group opinion on
- using a long/big normal air wound coil to get around 1 mH (coil  not
involved in "matching" i.e. impedance well above circuit impedance at the
anode. 1 inch wide/several inch long/500turns)
- using a smaller air wound coil such that the choke will become part of
matching circuit, RF currents flowing in this case.
- using a ferrite core to get a smaller package. Not sure how big a ferrite
core I would need to keep 1mH of inductance even when several amps of  DC
current are present (saturation).

In this case I am not too concerned (I think..) of parasitic resonance's of
this coil, as long as it is a good inductor at 2 MHz : - )

Any ideas ? pro - con's ?. Tnx, Carel.