[Amps] Using switch mode power supply for heater power

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Tue Jun 28 15:03:15 PDT 2011

On 06/28/11 05:54 PM, Radio WC6W wrote:
> Hi David,
>    Been there, done that.
>
> http://qsl.net/wc6w/wc6wamps/index.html?fr63.html

Thank you. Though that needs another psu - I know one will probably be
available, but it would be nice to make the heater supply self-contained.

>    Though the amp didn't end up small nor lite!
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20010825210138/http://www.angenent.org/W7IUV/wc6w/wc6w_1.htm
>
>    The switcher may be just be glimpsed under the Pi coil in the photo on the left side at the bottom of the page.
>
>    What about an SPS for the plate supply?  Far greater potential/size weight savings there!

Very true, but there are two things to consider.
1) The voltage does not need to be stabilised.

2) HV switch mode power supplies are not common, and hence are expensive. If
anyone knows a source of them able to provide 3 kV at 900 mA or more, let me
know. But these are very much professional devices and unless one is extramly
lucky, one is highly unlikely to get one at a sensible price.

dave