[Amps] SB 200 blown diodes in power supply

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Thu Mar 24 09:55:02 PDT 2011

That is an easy assembly to fix yourself Kathy. However why did they blow?
The usual cause is old original and leaking filter caps. Another possibility
is a run away parasitic condition that exceeds the diode ratings before the
internal breakers pop.

For repair you can use 1N4007's or go a step up to 1N5408's which will
require the mounting holes to be drilled out a bit.

Those mounting style caps are no longer available except as high priced
speciality items. The common Snap-In cap in 105*C rating can be adapted with
a little work or if you are really creative you can restuff the old cans
with them.

Also replace those heat generating equalizer resistors with 100K 3-5W metal
oxide.

All done the PS will last another ~40 years and you can be proud of doing
it.

Carl
KM1H