[Amps] SB 200 blown diodes in power supply

Vic K2VCO vic at rakefet.com
Thu Mar 24 11:20:38 PDT 2011

Replacing just one diode is asking for trouble. Unmatched diodes are much more likely to
blow. I suggest that you order 1N5408 diodes online (you won't find them at Radio Shack).
You can get them for as little as $0.15 each at Mouser Electronics (see
<http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=1n5408>. You will also have to pay a few
bucks shipping.

The original ones are 600 piv and the 1N5408s are 1000 piv. There are 8 diodes in each
string for a total of 4800 piv, so you can use 5 1N5408's in each string, for a total of
10 diodes.

I suggest that you also use an ohmmeter to check from the HV to ground for shorts just in
case something else caused the diodes to blow.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA