[Amps] 3cx400A7 and 8877

Paul Decker kg7hf at comcast.net
Fri May 20 19:54:45 PDT 2011

Hey gang,

I've got a new toy I'm wondering your opinions.

I got two new RF decks, one based on an 8877 and one based on a 8874.  Unfortunately I don't have a power supply for either one.  I do have a functional power supply for a 2 x 3cx800A7 amp.  It can deliver 2250 VDC @ 1.2 amps.

My ps has 2 x 112.5 16 and 8 v primary windings to be used in combo for various input voltages, for the 3cx800, the output 868 VAC dumps into a doubler to produce the 2500 no load voltage.

I was thinking for the 8874 to parallel the 112.5 windings and put the 8 V winding out of phase so it acts like a buck to make 104.5 VAC.  I'm thinking this should get me 756 VAC to my doubler and give me about 2140 VDC no load.  Does this make sense, am I missing something here?

For the 8877, I was thinking about using a voltage trippler.  I have loads of extra caps and diodes so I could take the 868 VAC out, dump it into a trippler to get 3680 VDC no load out.

I welcome your thoughts and any other suggestions you guys migh have on creating power for these two new tubes.

Thanks and 73,

Paul, kg7hf