[Amps] K3 spike problems

Robert Mccormack zl1aih at xtra.co.nz
Thu Aug 16 22:02:36 PDT 2012

________________________________

On 8/16/2012 12:44 PM, Carl wrote:
> After trying a couple of borrowed K3's Ive not had a spike problem using my
> PS but they are not a radio I would want to be stuck with. I use headphones
> for SSB and CW and the audio quality is among the most distorted and tiring
> of any rig Ive ever owned except maybe a stock Drake R4-C.

Hi Carl,

With the greatest respect (and I mean the respect due to your expertise and generous
contribution to this reflector), the K3 by way of it's menis can be configured to suit
most requirements.

I'm a CW contester who in 2003 decided that Single-op contesting was beyond my
capability to remain competitive in even 24 hour contests - advancing years. <G>

I was able to invite the ZM1A team to set up a Multi-op station here at my rural
QTH.
.
The benefit of exposure to ops like ZL3CW (ex-F3CW) and ZL1GO (ex-JA4EKO)
together with their several YaeComWood transceivers of the day convinced all of us
that my K2was superior to their transceivers in a Multi-op environment in all respects
other than weight - the K2 moved when buttons were pushed. <G>
[major problem with YaeComWoods of the day was serious phase noise - unacceptable
in our Multi-op set up.   Minor problem was the wide-open front ends.]

Switching to K3s (early serial numbers 320 and 321) was our best move.
Using the latest firmware, their performance is identical with two late-model K3s used
in the shack from time to time.   All of these K3s have identical menu configuration.

Contrary to your K3 experience, during which no doubt you might have been reluctant to
change the menu settings, none of the ZM1A team have ever complained of poor CW
audio quality - believe me, these guys are picky !!
 I can only assume that your borrowed K3s had not been optimised.

"Plug and play" is not for us.  <G>

73, Ken ZL1AIH (at ZM1A in CW contests)

   .