[Amps] current threads about silver solder and resoldering

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Tue Aug 28 18:17:15 EDT 2012

In my experience high-rel IC pins are often passivated with a thin layer
of gold plating. Gold and tin-lead solder are a bad combination (Indium
solder and gold is even worse) due to the poor characteristics of the
resulting alloys, so high-rel assemblers are often instructed to
"tin-wick-tin" gold plated leads before soldering. This deposits the
bulk of the gold flashing into the discarded solder, thus minimizing the
risk of gold "inter-metallics".

I've seen cases first hand where small amounts of contamination in the
solder can radically alter its characteristics causing unwanted re-flow
during equipment burn-in conditioning (at temperatures well below the
intrinsic melting point of the uncontaminated solder).

73, Mike W4EF.............