[Amps] Choke input filters, design criteria?

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Sun Dec 23 10:18:09 EST 2012

The swinging choke from a Gates BC-1T (1000W carrier) weighs 73# and is
rated at 16H at .1A and 5H at 1.5A. A smoothing choke was not used due to
weight, cost and it is unnecessary.
The 30H modulation reactor from the same TX weighs 85# and only has to carry
the DC current to the pair of 833A's in the RF deck

Those chokes plus the matching PS and modulation transformers are in use in
one of my AM amps.

Carl
KM1H