[Amps] Different amp recommendations

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 16:45:10 PST 2012

Not looking for an argument, but nothing you have written has
unsubstantiated what I posted.  As I wrote earlier, the factor is
transmit time.  someone wrote that Ameritron says 1.5 KW with that amp
for 30 minutes.  I guess the blower on high speed is not one of those
quiet jobs.

I would be delighted to be proven wrong.  Run an AL-82 into a DL @ 1.5
KW dead key for 30 minutes.  do it on 1.8 MHz.  Let us know how it
does.  You have to have an exciter that can do the drive power for
that time too.   Maybe one of the 200 W SSB rigs, but I'd put extra
fans on the heat sink.  Rig with pair 6146 or 4D32 will work okay for
the driver.   Don't use one of those Cantenna DLs--you'll need a 1 KW
or more Bird or a few 200 W. Carborundum resistors paralleled with a
fan on them.

73

Rob
K5UJ