[Amps] Source for plate xfrmer

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Tue Feb 14 05:33:26 PST 2012

Hi Ian, a third requirement for good regulation is a stiff ac power
service. In rural areas this can be a bit of a problem with C filter designs.  Can
also be a problem in older homes with less than robust wiring.

Same issue as using 240vac instead of 120vac for better regulation.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 2/14/2012 5:39:26 A.M. Central Standard Time,
gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk writes:

Rob  Atkinson wrote:
>In your long description you said nothing about the  filter caps in use.
>Please describe them.  Ideally I would want  one or more oil caps giving
>around 50 uF with 6  KVWDC

Good regulation requires two things: low transformer  winding resistances
*and* sufficient capacitance. If the winding  resistances are much too
high (which seems to be the case with Steve's  transformer) then even
large amounts of capacitance can only have a  marginal effect.

This has always been apparent in the old paper charts,  and software like
PSU Designer makes it even clearer.

--

73 from Ian  GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek