[Amps] To rewind or not? (3KA resonant filter choke)

Randall, Randy Randy.Randall at uchealth.com
Tue Jan 10 12:54:19 PST 2012

Simpson will not support any of the old 260's with the 5K range.  They will not even talk to you.  You can bet someone got blown to hell in an industrial environment using a 260 during an arc flash event.  The old 260 was the staple in many maintance shops for years and didn't cut it for safety then and certainly does not now.  It could not even in its current design pass the standards a Fluke 87V can below:

Rated for use in 600V CAT (category) IV and 1000V CAT III environments, the 87V is engineered to withstand voltage spikes of 8 kilovolts and help protect users against the hazards of arc flash. It is designed to meet the most rigorous safety standards, and its performance has been validated by independent testing organizations.

I'd never use a 260 to measure anything over 1000V without an appropriate external HV probe and even then I would stand 6 feet back.  Never anything high energy.  Those charged caps hold a lot of power that can be dumped instantly with horrible results.

Randy.

Randy E. Randall AB9GO
Network Engineer
UC Health