[Amps] 3CX800A7 Grid Current Problem

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Sat Jan 28 08:28:05 PST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Youvan" <ka4inm at tampabay.rr.com>
To: "amps" <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2012 9:16 AM
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CX800A7 Grid Current Problem

>   John G4ZTR Lemay wrote:
>
>> Jim
>
>> I think something has been lost in the translation !
>
>> It is being suggested that you should use a new core, because the old one
>> may have been saturated and/or overheated and it's properties have
>> changed.
>
>   I'm pretty sure ceramic materials like ferrites can't be damaged by mild
> heating when enough
> heating to shatter them doesn't change the magnetic properties, after
> being epoxied back together
> the work like new.
> I have never heard of ferrites or powered iron cores being altered without
> physically damaging them.
> --
>    Ron  KA4INM - Did you know ...
>                  ... that no-one ever reads these things?

Most of the common ferrites in use will lose some to most of their magnetic
properties from excessive heat. Its rather common when used in tuner baluns.
No cracking needed.

Sevick was really hammered on the air when his first book came out. Thats
what happens when you let a history professor play engineer.

Carl
KM1H