[Amps] Overdrive protection

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sat Jul 28 07:35:33 PDT 2012

Joe,

According to the operating manual, the FTdx-5K's E.ALC switch is used to
change ALC recovery time (not gain), supposedly for optimized operation into
the VL-1000 solid-state amp.  The alternate switch position is for "all
other" amps.

Just another reason to avoid use of an ALC link since there's never been an
industry standard as to ALC level and feedback dynamics.  ALC does seem to
work best when used across one manufacturer's products and not mix/matched
with other brands.  Still, the issue is best resolved with: (1) smart amps
that protect themselves against hot-switching and excessive power input; and
(2) well designed ALC in transceivers.

Paul, W9AC