[Amps] Squirrely 30L-1 Redux

Jerry Kaidor jerry at tr2.com
Fri Jun 15 23:19:23 PDT 2012

Hello,

   Per advice received on this forum, I pulled the Chinese tubes out of
my amp.  One of them broke while I was gently wiggling it out - amazing.
The plate cap pulled off, right along with a chunk of glass.  As for the
parasitic suppressors - both of them are cracked.  So it looks like I need
a pair of 100ohm 3-W resistors.  Couldn't find any in my junk box, 240-ohm
was the closest.  So for now, I rebuilt the suppressors with the 240-ohm
R's. I figured they're not critical - they're just there to kill the Q of
the coil
at the VHF frequencies.  Installed my four fairly matched American 811a's.

Powered it up - yeah it works - just as squirrely as before.  I guess I'm
going to go get some RG-58/U and make up a 20.5 foot cord.

                         - Jerry Kaidor ( jerry at tr2.com )