[Amps] Ducting Suggestion

Jim Barber audioguy at q.com
Tue Mar 20 13:42:17 PDT 2012

If there's room where the duct exits the rear of the amp, a "noise
sweep" will reduce noise - at least that conducted through the air in
the line - substantially.

Take a 90-degree dryer hose coupler and line the inside with an acoustic
dampening media. For larger systems I've used asphalt sheet, which along
with other materials is available from
http://www.parts-express.com . You *can* use spun fiberglass or polyfill
glued to the inside wall of the coupler, but it'll be trap dust and add
resistance to the airflow. If you use asphalt sheet, cut it into small
enough squares and rectangles so that it will lay flat when you glue it
in. Adding a foot or so of hard tubing lined with the same stuff on
either or both sides or the sweep will improve performance somewhat.

On larger HVAC systems we can get 20+dB acoustic loss above 150hz or so
with a properly constructed sweep. Below 150hz is mostly motor vibration
and/or conducted vibration in the line itself; you need to isolate that
at the source by isolating the motor mount as Bob mentioned.

My .02, adjust for local currency as appropriate.
Jim N7CXI