[Amps] How to know when filter caps begin to fail

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Wed Mar 28 19:12:03 PDT 2012

Hi Carl, as you know, there are only eight of those filter C's in the
Ameritron amps. When AC line voltage gets up around 245vac or so, the unloaded
plate voltage gets close to 3600vdc. That leaves very little or no headroom
with  a string of 450v caps, let alone ones that top out at 440v.

I learned all about this the hard way when an AL1500 was strapped for
200vac operation in an attempt to get more power output.

Not a pretty sight! Dumb! Dumb! Dumb!

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 3/28/2012 8:12:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time,