[Amps] The power of an oversized electrolytic capacitor

k7fm k7fm at teleport.com
Thu May 3 19:20:24 PDT 2012

We have been talking about the danger of having too much capacitance in the
power supply filter capacitor.  I just read that large capacitor banks are
used to fire off nuclear bombs.  That puts takes the discussion to a new
level.  Also, I wonder if carrying a large electrolytic around might be
violating some federal or state law about having possession of bomb making
equipment?  I can just see some prosecutor demonstrating the power of a
charged 300 ufd @ 10,000 volt cap - especially if the owner was a cb
operator.

73,  Colin  K7FM